Saturday, January 26, 2008

Kubba, Unadorned

This is a large recipe which can either serve 12 hungry people or be frozen for later use.

Outer shell
6 cups basmati rice
2 pounds 93% lean ground beef
2 Tbsp. water
2 teaspoons salt, or more to taste
1/8 - 1/4 teaspoon black pepper

Soak rice overnight, then drain. In a food processor, grind rice until it is the consistency of coarse sand. Continue to blend while adding ground beef, 1/2 cup at a time, until it is well mixed and starts to stick together. Add salt and pepper, then adjust to taste.

Divide and shape the shell into into 60 or more balls of equal size.

Filling
1 pound 80% lean ground beef
1 medium onion, finely chopped (volume by cup)
1 teaspoon 7-spice powder*
1/2 -1 teaspoon salt

Assembly
Hollow out the balls of shell, creating pockets for the filling. Tuck a teaspoon of filling into each shell and close smoothly. Drop into boiling sauce of your choice and cook until kubba rise to the top, then at least 5 minutes more. Avoid over-boiling kubba so they don't break apart in the sauce.

Soak Rice 2 Drain soaked rice edit Kubba Shell Food Processor Kubba Shell and Filling Kubba with filling Kubba.hand28 Kubba.hand29 Kubba.hand30 Kubba.hand31 Kubba.hand.tray.edit

Enjoy!

*Purchase in Middle Eastern markets. Can be substituted for a mixture of cumin, allspice and cloves.

11 comments:

xtinehlee said...

ooooh--this is a good one. definitely going to try it!

Bethany said...

Thanks for stopping by, c(h)ristine! I think de-cluttering the recipe of pictures and anecdotes will make it more user-friendly. I hope you like it! Don't skimp on the salt, by the way...I estimated low in the recipe and might amend it. :o)

Anonymous said...

What kind of sauce would you cook these in?

Bethany said...

Hi Kathy! Kubba can be cooked in lots of different sauces, but my family's favorite is Kubba Yachni, (I wrote about it on this site; check it out!). It's a mild chick pea and lamb broth flavored with onions, salt & pepper. It's pretty simple, and is best described as Iraqi comfort food. And if you're not crazy about lamb, homemade chicken stock is an ok substitute for lamb. Another possibility would be a sour sauce (kubba hamuth) made with turnips, tomato sauce and onions, then garnished with dried mint. There are lots of sauces, but Yachni is our favorite!

Thanks for reading! :o)

Anonymous said...

Mouths are watering in anticipation of your Kubba Hamuth recipe! My late mother was Iraqi-born Armenian, who moved to the US as an adult. While I helped her to make K-H years ago, we didn't think to write down the recipe. Looking forward to seeing your recipe and making it at home! (PS - I do have Mom's Lamb Daub recipe, but am considering making your crockpot beef daub - as my husband doesn't eat lamb!)

Bethany said...

Hi Anonymous! Thanks for your message...hopefully it will motivate me to better learn the kubba hamuth recipe, so I can post it here someday. We're so in love with kubba yachni, you see. :o) But there really are so many great ways to eat these!

Bethany said...

Ok...if anyone is out there...I posted kubba hamuth. This is our way; I know there are many others. See whatcha think!

Anonymous said...

I was wondering if you've tried these deep fried? From what I can remember my momma uses the same recipe but its fried. Probably not as healthy, but so delicious.

Bethany said...

Hello Anonymous,

I haven't had them deep fried when made with this recipe, but I have enjoyed many deep fried kibbe made with bulghar instead of rice. Did your mom make hers with rice or bulghar?

Thanks for commenting, and thanks for visiting!

Warmly,
Bethany

Kristen said...

Great tutorial! I would like to try this. I usually just buy the frozen kind of kubba, either the flatter kind or this rice kind. Do you make Iraqi bread? Would love to learn that!

Bethany said...

We usually just eat pita from the Middle Eastern Bakery...bread seems like such a high hurdle to clear! Thanks for reading, and I hope you try the kubba!